The Grand jury for Montserrado County yesterday afternoon indicted political activist, Vandalark Patricks, with “sedition and criminal libel against the President.”Amidst tight security presence, Patricks was escorted by armed officers of the Liberia National Police (LNP) to his cell at the Monrovia Central Prison (MCP), where he is expected to spend the night before he is brought to court, “because his lawyers could not file a bond to prevent him from going to jail yesterday,” the Daily Observer learnt.The crimes are bailable offenses. But in law, according to a source, sedition is unconcealed conduct, such as speech and organization that tends toward insurrection against the established order. It often includes subversion of a constitution and incitement of discontent (or resistance) to lawful authority. This may include any commotion, though not aimed at direct and open violence against the laws. Seditious words in writing are seditious libel. Typically, sedition is considered a subversive act, and the overt acts that may be prosecutable under sedition laws vary from one legal code to another. Patricks was previously charged by the police when he was brought to the court for indictment. On Tuesday, February 23, the LNP said it “invited Patricks in connection to a statement he made on Sunday, February 21, insinuating that President Ellen Johnson Sirleaf gave direct orders to shoot at the then Congress for Democratic Change (CDC) standard bearer, Winston Tubman, vice standard bearer, George Weah, and murdered innocent and defenseless citizens on November 7, 2011.Patricks also said the government hired “assassins to murder the former Liberia Petroleum Refinery (LPRC) Managing Director, Harry A. Greaves Jr., and eliminate other political opponents to maintain state power.” In a statement, the LNP said, “Mr. Patricks was called in to assist security authorities establish facts surrounding his statements,” which the police believe, “has the potential to undermine the peace of the state.”The LNP maintains that the statement by Mr. Patricks “is grave and requires the establishment of its truthfulness for the common good of the Liberian society.” The LNP also notes that speech that incites violence and maliciously defames the government does not fall under the category of “protected free speech,” and as such, emphasizes that this action ought not to reflect on the enviable record of the government in protecting freedom of speech and the press.However, late yesterday, Patricks, in the presence of several police officers, was escorted to the grounds of the Temple of Justice on Capitol Hill where he was formerly charged and forwarded to court Criminal Court ‘A’ for prosecution.From the Police Headquarters, Patricks was brought with charge sheet in the presence of his lawyer, Cllr. Tiawan S. Gongloe, but instead of taking him back to the police since he arrived at the time the court has closed, he was taken to the Monrovia Central Prison (MCP) to the disbelief of the huge crowd of supporters that had gathered to witness the case.Patricks was handcuffed when he was escorted to the office of Montserrado County Attorney heavily guarded by armed police officers, and did not enter the court.Meanwhile, the LNP has advised the general public that “no one is exempt from the law, and that those who violate its provision will be held accountable.”Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
The corpse of a 33 year-old man, identified by family members as Tutu-boy Jackson Suah, was on the morning of Wednesday, March 16, found cut in half and his head burst, lying on a train track in Kokoyah Statutory District, Bong County.The incident occurred in the remote village of Kpai, at about 5:00 a.m., to the disbelief of the villagers. The railway, operated by ArcelorMittal Liberia, originates at the Nimba Mountain and passes through Bong County to the Port City of Buchanan in Grand Bassa County.According to a friend of the deceased who spoke to the Daily Observer via mobile phone from Botota, Kokoyah District Headquarters, the deceased reportedly left his home as early as 4:00 a.m. and told relatives he was going to his farm to get chicken and other food stuffs to contribute to his late mother’s-in-law feast, since indeed that fateful Wednesday was the feast.Circumstances surrounding the death of Tutu-boy Jackson Suah are not established, but doubts are still on the minds of people as to how he could have been killed by the train at that hour.“Looking at the position of the dead body, he might have apparently been lying down on the railway or train track sleeping when the train arrived,” one account observed, while looking at the photograph of the body.According to the friend, there are pocket discussions in street corners in the town that late Tutu-boy Jackson Suah might have been murdered by wicked minded individuals, and dumped on the railway as a means of directing the responsibility of the death to ArcelorMittal.“The vibration of the train is what can wake us up in the morning in this town; how much more somebody lying down on the rail tracks? I can’t believe my ears,” one neighbor challenged.The deceased, a father of six, was a potential young farmer who raised chickens and other crops, the friend said.Information from the district revealed that officials from AccerlorMittal have had two separate meetings with the bereaved family since the incident occurred on Wednesday, with the aim to find amicable solution to the situation.According to the accounts, on the first day of meeting with the bereaved family, the company provided US$ 400 to the family and the townspeople in order to bury the victim, while waiting for negotiation with the bereaved family.The Daily Observer was informed that there is a planned meeting between AccerlorMittal and the family of the deceased on Friday, March 18, to iron out everything.Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
FORT ST. JOHN, B.C. – The Fort St. John RCMP are asking for the public’s assistance in identifying suspects in relation to a physical assault.According to RCMP, during the early morning of June 11 at around 2:35 a.m., two unknown suspects entered the ATM lobby of a local financial institution and assaulted a man using a hockey stick.Police say the individual was resting inside an ATM lobby when he was assaulted by one suspect, wearing a red jacket, who allegedly struck him in the head with a hockey stick while it appears the other suspect, wearing a dark hoodie, video recorded the attack on a cell phone.- Advertisement -The victim was transported to a local hospital where he was treated for his injuries.Anyone with any information on this incident is being asked to call the Fort St. John RCMP at 250-787-8100 or CrimeStoppers at 1-800-222-TIPS.
A revamped Germany raced into a 2-0 lead in Amsterdam with thrilling strikes from Leroy Sane and Serge Gnabry but the hosts struck back with a second half header from Matthijs De Ligt before Memphis Depay pounced for an equaliser on 63 minutes.The four-time world champions were put under immense pressure from a Netherlands side seeking a winner but the visitors, who were booed by their own fans in a 1-1 friendly draw against Serbia last Wednesday, snatched victory in the 90th minute through 25-year-old Schulz. The Hoffenheim midfielder, who made his international in August, tapped home a loose ball after a tireless Sane had taken the defence with him on a run into the box.The win comes after Loew took an axe to Germany’s squad ahead of the qualifying campaign in the aftermath of last year’s calamitous World Cup elimination, when he told Bayern Munich trio Thomas Mueller, Jerome Boateng and Mats Hummels they had no future in the national side.Bayern stopper Manuel Neuer may also come under pressure for his place after De Ligt beat him with a flying header just after the restart. Neuer, 32, was also slow to react as Depay pounced for the equaliser.Dutch ‘keeper Jasper Cillesen was left with little chance after Gnabry ended his mazy run by outwitting Virgil Van Dijk before sending a rasping long-range effort into the bottom corner in the early action.– Modric powerless –Eden Hazard scored on his 100th appearance for Belgium © AFPChelsea star Hazard celebrated his 100th cap by scoring the opener in their 2-0 win over Cyprus in Group I with Michy Batshuayi grabbing the second as Real Madrid’s Thibaut Courtois went largely untested in the Belgian goal.Ballon d’Or winner Luka Modric was powerless to stop beaten World Cup finalists Croatia from slipping to a 2-1 defeat to Hungary in Group E on Sunday as Mate Patkai notched a 76th minute winner in Budapest.Croatia had struggled against Azerbaijan in their opening qualifier last Thursday before escaping with a 2-1 win, but they made the perfect start in the Hungarian capital when Ante Rebic put them ahead on 13 minutes.Croatia’s Luka Modric was on the losing side in Hungary © AFP / ATTILA KISBENEDEKBut Hungary pulled level through Adam Szalai’s fifth goal in as many games and with a quarter of an hour left, 31-year-old Patkai scored his first international goal to pull off a famous victory.Scotland got back to winning ways with an uninspiring 2-0 win at perennial makeweights San Marino, following an embarrassing defeat at Kazakhstan in their opening qualifier.“It was a wee bit nervy, it’s been a tough few days for everyone,” admitted Scotland coach Alex McLeish.Minnows Israel made it four points from their opening two qualifiers as they swept past Austria 4-2 thanks to a Eran Zahavi hat-trick, setting them up nicely for a tilt at qualification.0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today) 0Shares0000Nico Schulz spins away after scoring Germany’s winner © AFP / JOHN THYSPARIS, France, Mar 25 – Germany’s Nico Schulz sealed a thrilling 3-2 win over the Netherlands in a see-saw Euro 2020 qualifier as Joachim Loew’s new-look line-up survived a severe test on Sunday.Elsewhere, World Cup finalists Croatia stumbled to a 2-1 defeat in Hungary, and Eden Hazard celebrated a century of caps with the opening goal in Belgium’s 2-0 win over Cyprus.
Bayer Leverkusen striker Son Heung-min Liverpool are chasing Bayer Leverkusen striker Son Heung-min, according to the player’s agent.Brendan Rodgers has made no secret of his desire to bring in a forward this summer as the Reds continue to get used to life after Luis Suarez.Daniel Sturridge has been riddled with injury during the current campaign, while the £16m addition of Mario Balotelli has failed to yield a positive return.Because of that Liverpool look set to strengthen their forward line at the end of the season, with Korean striker Son high on their list.The 22-year-old is Bayer Leverkusen’s top scorer this season with 11 goals and his agent, Thies Bliemeister, admits Liverpool are keeping tabs on the situation.“I know Liverpool have on numerous occasions this season watched him and would like to have the player in their team,” Bliemeister told Bild. 1
REVEALED Chelsea confident of beating Man United and Liverpool to Sancho signing Lovren enjoyed his strongest run of form for Liverpool towards the end of last season RANKED Top nine Premier League free transfers of the decade Injuries suffered by Samuel Umtiti and Thomas Vermaelen are expected to keep the pair out until the new year, leaving the woefully out of form Gerard Pique and Clement Lenglet as Barca’s only senior centre-backs.Lovren is the latest in a long line of defenders linked with the Catalans as they seek to solve their back-line crisis, with Matthijs de Ligt, the Ajax starlet, and former Chelsea man Branislav Ivanovic said to be near the top of their shortlist. Liverpool’s signings under Michael Edwards – will Minamino be the next big hit? TOP WORK And with his future in doubt, Mundo Deportivo say Barcelona have shown interest in signing Lovren when the transfer window reopens in January.The Camp Nou club are probing the market for a new central defender heading into the opening of the window as Ernesto Valverde, the Barcelona manager, seeks defensive reinforcements. LATEST moving on The biggest market value losers in 2019, including Bale and ex-Liverpool star IN DEMAND Where every Premier League club needs to strengthen in January Tony Cascarino backs Everton to sign two strikers for Carlo Ancelotti targets Kevin De Bruyne ‘loves Man City and wants to keep winning’, reveals father LIVING THE DREAM Cavani ‘agrees’ to join new club and will complete free transfer next summer Man United joined by three other clubs in race for Erling Haaland 2 Arsenal transfer news LIVE: Ndidi bid, targets named, Ozil is ‘skiving little git’ three-way race 2 There is still no time frame for Umtiti’s return, but he’s expected to be out for a lengthy period Liverpool defender Dejan Lovren has emerged as a shock January target for Barcelona, according to reports in Spain.Lovren, the centre-back, has made just two appearances in all competitions this season having been dealing with a pelvic injury in the opening weeks of the campaign. He returned to Jurgen Klopp’s starting XI for Liverpool’s Carabao Cup defeat by Chelsea, and then played the full 90 minutes in their Premier League draw with Manchester City 11 days later.At the start of the season Lovren was expected to continue his brilliant partnership with Virgil van Dijk in the heart of Liverpool’s defence – especially after ending 2017/18 so strongly – but Joe Gomez has emerged as a serious threat to Lovren’s position given his superb performances in the opening stages of 2018/19. targets Latest transfer news
The retired bishop of Derry Dr Seamus Hegarty has tonight apologised for poor practice over clerical sex abuse and saud sorry to victims.Bishop Hegarty, the former Bishop of Raphoe, said in a statement: “I was a diocesan bishop for 30 years, first in Raphoe and later in Derry.“I now look back and know that my practice in the past was sometimes poor and I am deeply sorry that anyone was hurt through my management of allegations historically. I know that I made big efforts to improve as time went on and this is reflected in the Derry report.” Dr Hegarty stood down from Derry a week ago, citing ill-health.His apology came on the day the Derry report found allegations made against 23 priests – but no priest was every convicted in the Diocese.Dr Hegarty was severely criticised in today’s Raphoe audit (see separate reports) with investigators saying he had managed the issue poorly.© 2011 donegaldaily.com, all Rights Reserved The copying, republication or redistribution of donegaldaily.com Content, including by framing or similar means, is expressly prohibited by law.Follow us on www.twitter.com/donegaldailyFollow us on www.facebook.com/donegaldailySell anything on www.donegaldailyclassifieds.comEX-BISHOP HEGARTY: ‘I’M SORRY’ was last modified: December 1st, 2011 by BrendaShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:derry auditRAPHOE AUDITseamus hegarty
Local parents are being urged to talk to their children about safety, alcohol and drugs ahead of the upcoming teenage disco in Letterkenny.A pre-Christmas underage disco is taking place in Letterkenny on Friday 29th November from 9pm to midnight.Before the event, Gardaí have issued the following advice for parents: Please ensure that you are aware of your child’s travelling arrangements and of whom they will be attending the disco with. Ensure that your child has their phone charged and has credit on it.Please ensure that your child only has adequate money with them to gain entry to the disco, for the bus and a little extra. Having too much money with them will only leave them in a vulnerable position where temptation is concerned.Please check all bags that your child may take from home with them and ensure that there is no alcohol contained in them. Speak openly and honestly to your child about alcohol and drugs and the associated harm before allowing them to attend the Junior disco. Please ensure that there is an adult available at home who would be in a position to get into a car and come and collect the child should the need arise. Sometimes parents unfortunately do receive a call from Gardaí to collect their child who may have been taken to the Garda Station for one reason or another. In the event of your child being taken into our custody we immediately call a parent or guardian to collect them. Garda warnings for parents ahead of teen disco in Letterkenny was last modified: November 26th, 2019 by Rachel McLaughlinShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)
TORONTO – Before anyone could speak about the Warriors’ calamity, Draymond Green talked. He often does.Instead of raising his voice in the locker room about the Warriors trailing 3-1 to the Toronto Raptors in the NBA Finals, Green spoke in a calm and matter-of-fact tone with a simple message about Game 5 on Sunday.“‘Let’s win,’” Green said. “That’s the crux of it.” Click here if you’re unable to view the photo gallery on your mobile device. Sounds simple enough. If only it were …
Share Facebook Twitter Google + LinkedIn Pinterest We could use some rain. The northern part of the county got a pretty good soaking but you can see some beans getting dry down here on some of the gravel ground. You can see it in the double-crop beans here too. We’ve had three or four tenths so far this month. They are calling for some rain Wednesday or Thursday I believe.You couldn’t have had an irrigation pivot in July and gotten better rains than we had. The beans are all unusually tall this year. We are starting to see a little bit of frogeye showing up in them but we are passed the time to spray. At this point you’ve got what you’ve got. I have never been a fan of tall beans. It seems like they spend more time growing than putting on pods. Until we get in them we won’t know how they will do. Tall beans in our black ground are not unusual but tall beans in our lighter ground — that’s when you get nervous.The double-crop beans look pretty good and they are coming along. Everything is clean. We’ve had some fields with a good bit of Japanese beetle feeding and some with hardly any at all. I don’t know the reason behind that.We’ve seen a little brown spot but for the most part things are clean. We even have a couple varieties that are more susceptible to frogeye than others and they are actually pretty clean.We only sprayed one field of beans for test strips. We did end up spraying all of the corn minus one field where we had sweet corn around the edges. We mostly had gray leaf spot in our corn. We had one field that is corn after corn and we had northern corn leaf blight in that one and found some rust too. Overall I think the corn is looking pretty good and we should have pretty good corn yields.