Notre Dame Food Services worked this summer to add more low calorie and multicultural options to the dining hall menus, responding to student demand for healthier options. Marc Poklinkowski, general manager of South Dining Hall Food Services, said the changes were made directly in response to the student surveys that are completed at the end of each semester. “If I had to sum up what the four to five hundred students said on the survey, it’s, ‘OK, we need to get healthier.’ I think we’ve addressed a lot of those issues in the changes we made this year,” he said. One noticeable change to the dining hall menu is the addition of red pepper hummus, which Poklinkowski said has been extremely popular so far this year. He said that all of the hummus is made by the Food Service support facility right off campus. “There’s a possibility that we will make different types of specialty hummus in the future,” he said. Student body president Catherine Soler said student government, aware of how popular hummus is with students, worked to provide more flavor options. “One of our platform ideas was better hummus, and we expressed this to Notre Dame Food Services. We found out that they actually made hummus in the plant off campus, and that there were new opportunities available there,” she said. “In the end we decided on red pepper hummus.” Poklinkowski said a notable change is the addition of Greek and Indian cuisine. “The Pan-American station is turned to Greek food once every twelve days. We did that to break up the monotony,” he said. “All day we have gyros, spanakopita, pita chips, spicy feta, spicy Mediterranean relish, among other Greek foods.” Every 12 days, Indian cuisine will replace the homestyle line, Poklinkowski said. “We had quite a few people [on the survey] ask for Indian foods,” he said. “One of the managers at the dining hall is Indian, so he came up with some home recipes. The unit chef over at North worked with him to put [those recipes] into Notre Dame terms.” Tuesday is the first day South Dining Hall will serve Indian cuisine. Indian beef, chicken and vegetarian dishes will be offered, in addition to sides and rices. Poklinkowski said small changes have also been made to the salad line at South. “At the end of the salad line we are going to have a second variety salad, for example a buffalo chicken salad, a tomato walnut salad or a chicken Caesar, kind of like the ones that are prepared for lunch at North,” he said. “We are still figuring out the logistics … we don’t have the space to make them made-to-order.” Other changes this year, Poklinkowski said, include new Sunkist flavored waters, craisins at the end of the salad line and “skinny buns” (90-calorie pita buns) on the deli line. Tina Aalfs, operations manager of North Dining Hall Food Services, said North Dining Hall will integrate the Indian and Mediterranean cuisines into its menu after fall break. “We’re planning on running each concept four days at a time, so we’ll have Indian for four days, Mediterranean for four days and Mexican for four days.” For now, the biggest changes at North Dining Hall are apparent from the moment you walk in the building. “Physically, the building’s changed,” she said. “[Over the summer] they painted the walls and installed new carpeting.” While the new paint and carpet jobs are certainly cause for excitement, regular North Dining Hall-goers say they are ecstatic about the return of the spoons to their regular spot beside the forks and knives. “Last year, I accidentally would take two forks because they did not have spoons on the utensil tray,” junior Rebecca Huffer said. “It’s nice to get my utensils all in one place now.” Cereal enthusiasts who love to mix and match should be aware that five cereals provided last semester will go out of rotation by the end of September. “We keep our 15 heaviest used cereals, and the bottom five rotate out each year,” Poklinkowski said. “Rice Krispies, Apple Jacks, Cocoa Krispies, Rice Chex, Captain Crunch and Cheerios are the six that got voted out, so they will likely be gone in a month or so.”
Pixabay Stock Image.NEW YORK – There’s new evidence that COVID-19 can spread among cats.A study published Wednesday says cats can infect other cats with the novel Coronavirus, but may not show any symptoms.Researchers from the University of Wisconsin and the University of Tokyo purposefully infected three cats. They found that all of them were shedding the virus after three days.The team then housed the infected cats with healthy ones, which came down with the virus too. The findings add to a growing body of evidence showing how cats big and small can contract the virus.Researchers said there’s no evidence that cats can transmit the virus to humans. Share:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
FacebookTwitterLinkedInEmailPrint分享InsideClimate News:A comprehensive, peer-reviewed academic study of ExxonMobil’s internal deliberations, scientific research and public rhetoric over the decades has confirmed empirically that the oil giant misled the public about what it knew about climate change and the risks posed by fossil fuel emissions, the authors said on Tuesday.The paper confirms the findings of a 2015 investigative series by InsideClimate News that was based largely on the company’s internal records, and also of independent work published by the Los Angeles Times. That reporting ignited investigations by state attorneys general that are still in litigation.“On the question of whether ExxonMobil misled non-scientific audiences about climate science, our analysis supports the conclusion that it did,” Geoffrey Supran and Naomi Oreskes of Harvard University wrote in the study, published today in the scientific journal Environmental Research Letters.Across the board, the paper found “a systematic discrepancy between what ExxonMobil’s scientists and executives discussed about climate change privately and in academic circles and what it presented to the general public,” the authors said.“ExxonMobil contributed quietly to the science and loudly to raising doubts about it,” they wrote.The authors explicitly rejected Exxon’s main defense, which was to claim that journalists were “cherry picking” the company’s record and that its positions had always been in step with the state of the science. The company often said that anyone who read the full documentary record would see matters Exxon’s way.The Harvard researchers said their task was to accept Exxon’s challenge to review the full record. Among the documents they examined were dozens cited in ICN’s work, as well as more than 50 scientific papers Exxon frequently mentioned in its own defense and its issue advertising.Supran and Oreskes called their conclusions “an expansive, quantitative, independent corroboration of the findings of investigative journalists.”In an interview, Supran said the evidence was unambiguous.More: Harvard Study Finds Exxon Misled Public about Climate Change Harvard Study Concludes Exxon Misled Investors on Climate Risk
The number of fatalities from China’s new coronavirus epidemic jumped to 1,113 nationwide on Wednesday after another 97 deaths were reported by the national health commission.The figure is only the second time there has been a decline in the daily death toll and follows Tuesday’s data showing 108 new fatalities.More than 44,600 people have been confirmed as infected by the pathogen across China. Around 2,000 new cases were reported on Wednesday, with 1,638 in the hard-hit province of Hubei, where the outbreak emerged in December.The new virus is believed to have emerged last year in a market that sells wild animals in Hubei’s capital Wuhan, the city at the centre of the outbreak.The virus was officially named “COVID-19” at a conference in Geneva held by the World Health Organization, where the body’s chief said countries had a chance of stopping its global spread.WHO head Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said Tuesday that although 99 percent of cases are in China, where it remains “very much an emergency,” it also “holds a very grave threat for the rest of the world.” He urged countries to share data in order to further research the disease.Topics :
Hans-Peter Wiedmer, Bernische PensionskasseSeparately, Hans-Peter Wiedmer has been appointed CEO of the CHF13.5bn (€11.8bn) Bernische Pensionskasse. He was previously deputy managing director.Wiedmer has been with the pension fund for the city of Berne for almost 40 years and has led the asset management department since 1994.IPE revealed in June that Werner Hertzog was leaving the fund after almost two years as managing director.According to his LinkedIn profile Hertzog is now “independent, freelance”, after leaving the Pensionkasse in October, but no details of his new job were revealed.He told IPE in June that he “was going to pursue other tasks”.Last year the Bernische Pensionskasse managed a return of 8.2%, beating the market average. As at the end of September 2018 the fund yielded a net return of 1% while the market average stood at around 0.3%, according to samples compiled by Credit Suisse. The Swiss government has left the minimum interest rate for accrual in Pensionskassen unchanged at 1%, despite the recommendation of an expert group to cut it to 0.75%.It was the first time the Swiss government had not followed the BVG commission’s advice on adjusting the minimum interest rate (Mindestzins).The BVG expert commission this year changed the formula for calculating the interest rate Pensionskassen have to guarantee on active members’ accrued assets. It removed the seven-year average yield on Swiss government bonds to allow for further declines in interest rates.Based on these calculations, the BVG commission had issued a recommendation to cut the minimum interest rate from 1% to 0.75%. Pension fund association Asip also supported this move. In addition, other commentators and employer representatives advocated a reduction in the rate as the recommendation would have been 0.5% using the old formula.The Swiss Employers’ Confederation said the government’s decision to ignore the recommendation was “proof that decisions on the rates in the second pillar are purely political ones”.Asip argued that, even with the BVG’s recommended cut, the mandatory second pillar would still have contributed more than one third to people’s pensions.Currently this part of the pension system makes up 41% of individuals’ retirement income on average.Asip also called for the “depolitisation” of decisions regarding key rates in the second pillar.New head for Bernische Pensionskasse
Indianapolis, In. — The Interim Study Committee on Public Safety and Military Affairs voted Thursday at the Statehouse to recommend the construction of an injured public safety officer monument in Indianapolis, according to Republican state representative from Greensburg Randy Frye.Frye, chair of the committee, said the monument could be built close to the Indiana Law Enforcement and Firefighters Memorial in downtown Indianapolis.“The sacrifice our public servants make in service of others could result in their lives being forever affected, sometimes lost, by the injuries they sustain,” Frye said. “The committee looked into the planning of the monument and how other states and cities handled similar monument projects. This could be a way to show our gratitude for the service these men and women gave to our communities and offer a place for Hoosiers to reflect on the sacrifices made by our public safety officers.”Frye said state lawmakers will work together to present this recommendation and funding options to the General Assembly next session.
Press Association The pair will be joined in Ireland’s four-man team by Sam Bennett, a stage winner at the Tour of Britain, and Matt Brammeier, four times the Irish road race champion. The duo are capable of winning in Florence after strong seasons on the road, and were confirmed in Cycling Ireland’s team on Monday. Birmingham-born Martin won the prestigious one-day race Liege-Bastogne-Liege and stage nine of the Tour de France, and his cousin Roche, the son of 1987 world champion Stephen Roche, won a stage of the Vuelta a Espana, in which he finished fifth overall. Dan Martin and Nicolas Roche will lead Ireland’s challenge in the Road World Championships road race on Sunday.
Will you go to jail if you defy a quarantine order?Sheriff Bradshaw joins us to answer that question and many more.You can hear it all here.https://www.850wftl.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/Ric-Bradshaw-3-20-20.mp3
Facebook Twitter Google+ Eight minutes into Sunday’s game, Liz Sack intercepted a pass from a Pennsylvania defender and began to push the ball toward the Quakers’ half of the field. As she crossed the midfield line, she curved between two Penn defenders and carried the ball all the way to the end line.The ball skirted harmlessly out of bounds after a misjudged dribble, but it was still an important moment for the Orange.Sack’s offensive surge was the first time an SU attacker carried the ball past midfield, and it was the Orange’s first real chance at a goal after facing an offensive onslaught early from the Quakers.“At least we got something going there,” an SU fan yelled from the stands.After a slow start from the Syracuse (8-1, 2-1 Atlantic Coast) offense, a surge in the final 50 minutes of the game led SU to a 4-0 romp over Penn (5-2, 1-0 Ivy League) on Sunday at J.S. Coyne Stadium. The win came just two days after the Orange dropped a 3-2 double-overtime game to No. 5 North Carolina, its first and only loss of the season.AdvertisementThis is placeholder textPenn posted three shots in the first six minutes of the game as the Orange defenders stood on their heels. Just five minutes in, SU goalie Regan Spencer was forced to save a dangerous shot from close range. A minute later, a Penn shot clanged off the post to Spencer’s left, missing the net by mere inches.After an SU pass drifted out of bounds, Orange head coach Ange Bradley began pacing on the sideline in front of the bench, leaning toward the field as she shouted at midfielder Laura Hurff to get something going.“We just needed to manage (Penn’s) pressure early,” Bradley said after the game. “They pressured us hard and we’ve been working on that kind of stuff. Our backfield was reshaping.”Seconds after Bradley yelled at Hurff, the junior scooped up a pass in the midfield and began a push into the Penn half.A minute later, Hurff was on the receiving end of a pass from Annalena Ulbrich, mashing a one-touch shot at Penn goalie Liz Mata. The ball flew past Mata’s helmet and buried itself in the top shelf of the goal for SU’s first of the day, putting the Orange up 1-0.“Getting a goal always helps, it just gets everybody’s spirits up,” Hurff said. “I think the link-up pattern up the field helped us say, ‘We got this, we’re in this.’”The SU offense transformed after Hurff’s opening goal. Emma Lamison and Sack began pounding the Penn defense, pushing the pace of the attack and launching shots on Mata in the net.After posting just one shot in the first 11 minutes of the game, the Orange finished the first half with 11. And following a goal apiece from Roos Weers and Ulbrich in the second half, the SU attack had notched 28 shots and eight penalty corners.“I don’t think anything specifically changed, it was just the wake-up call that we needed,” Ulbrich said. “We had a lot more link up, combinations, midfielders passing and shooting the gap. It was a really good day for our offense.”As the seconds ticked off the scoreboard and the Orange sat safely ahead of Penn at 3-0, the SU attack had one last chance at a score. After winning a penalty corner with no time left on the clock, Nisje Venrooy curled one final corner into the arc toward Elaine Carey.Carey trapped the ball and slid it to Hurff, who slapped it between Mata’s legs and into the back of the goal. After starting the Orange’s momentum with a goal 60 minutes earlier, Hurff ended the drive the exact same way she had started it.“We came out and executed the game plan,” Hurff said. “We knew what we wanted to do, and we came out and finished it in the end.” Comments Published on September 25, 2016 at 6:21 pm Contact Matt: email@example.com
The Bora-Argon 18 rider came 12th.He’s been struggling to overcome the effects of being involved in a crash on the very first day of the race.The Carrick-on-Suir man believes the memories of that incident harmed his chances yesterday.