Paul Young’s second stint as coach of Waterhouse Football Club started with a 2-2 draw against Tivoli Gardens at Waterhouse Stadium yesterday. The home team took the lead through Kemar Beckford after 10 minutes, but Junior Flemmings equalised midway the first-half, and AndrÈ McFarlane fired them in front after 62 minutes. However, Kenroy Howell secured a point for the hosts with a goal four minutes later. Tivoli Gardens were reduced to 10 players in the 69th minute when Ranike Anderson was ejected after picking up his second yellow card. Young, who had only three days with the team prior to the game, thought they should have taken all three points. “We let them off the hook,” he told reporters after the game. “With 20 minutes to go, we had an extra player, and we didn’t capitalise on the chances because they (players) didn’t follow instructions. But the discipline has stepped up. We just need to get more organised defensively, concentrate throughout the duration of the game and score the chances when we get them. Yesterday’s Results Today’s Game – Waterhouse 2 Tivoli 2 – Boys’ Town 3 Portmore 0 – Rivoli 2 Humble Lion 2 – UWI FC 1 Cavalier 0 – Harbour View 1 Arnett 3 WORK IN PROGRESS “It’s work in progress, and I am looking for better things,” he added. Tivoli’s head coach, Christopher Bender, believes the red card and forced changes were their downfall. “We made two forced changes because of injury, and that affected us because we had players to come in to affect the game, and we had to change that plan. Also going down to 10, we had to be resolute in defending; but I thought we gave it way,” he said. Waterhouse remain at the bottom of the 12-team League with 14 points, while Tivoli are ninth on 19. 8:40 p.m. Montego Bay United vs Reno FC at Montego Bay Sports Complex.
DUBAI, United Arab Emirates (CMC): Andre Russell’s three-wicket haul and Dwayne Smith’s hostile half century fired Islamabad United to a six-wicket victory over Quetta Gladiators in the finals of the inaugural Pakistan Super League here yesterday. Smith struck 73 off 51 balls – 52 of which came from boundaries, to anchor an impressive run chase at Dubai International Cricket Stadium. “It was a good pitch, and I said to myself, just go there and back yourself,” said Smith, who was named the Man of the Match. “It’s a very good group, and I feel at home with everyone, and from the time I came here, I saw that, and I knew this team was going to win the tournament.” Smith’s fireworks came after his West Indies compatriot Russell led a bowling attack that restricted Gladiators to 174 for seven in 20 overs, following half centuries from Ahmed Shehzad and Kumar Sangakkara. Shehzad, who hit nine sixes, top-scored with 64 before he was caught by Samuel Badree from a Mohammad Sami delivery, while Russell removed Sangakkara for 55, which included seven sixes. Russell, the main wicket-taker for the champions, grabbed three wickets for 36 runs, while Samuel Badree picked one for 38. “Winning has been following me; I’ve won three in a row now – Big Bash, BPL, and now, PSL,” said Russell. “Once you’re enjoying the game, success is going to follow you. The only problem that I had, or a few others might have had, is the back-to-back games we had, but we are athletes.” – CMC
After narrowly missing qualification for the 2015 FIFA Under-17 World Cup, Jamaica commenced early preparation for the 2017 edition with a training camp at the Jamaica Football Federation (JFF) Centre at the University of the West Indies, Mona. The camp continued yesterday, with the JFF naming 32 players for the second camp that will end on Thursday. “Well, we are basically in selection process. We started with 32 players last week and are now looking at 32 other players whom are currently in camp,” Under-17 head coach Andrew Edwards told The Gleaner after the early-morning session yesterday. “We want to rank the players in order to properly evaluate each player and have an idea of the best 20 players,” Edwards added. He said the players in camp, both local and overseas based, have responded well to the session so far. “We intend to improve the players by giving them bits of information,” he explained. PRELIMINARY STAGE The JFF is yet to be officially informed of when the Caribbean Football Union qualifiers will start, but Edwards said, “The preliminary stage usually starts in the summer, so we are looking at a 15-month period to qualify for the next Under-17 World Cup”. Jamaica will seek a third berth at the Under-17 World Cup football tournament after qualifying in 1999 and 2011. The nation missed the last staging after being eliminated on penalty kicks by the United States of America at the CONCACAF stage. The players in camp are: Kajeev White (Vauxhall High), Nickashe Murray (Wolmer’s Boys), Demale Sinclair (Jamaica College), Lloyd Reynolds (Holy Trinity High), Jeremy Verley (St George’s College), Romario McPherson (Bridgeport High), Shaquille Smith (Jonathan Grant High), Tyrone Small (Jonathan Grant), Akeem Davis (Munro College), Deandre Smalling (Munro), Tavin Small (Munro), Daniel Russell (Holmwood Technical), Marlando Maxwell (Manchester High), Dwayne Leven (Ptersfield High), Ricardo McIntosh (Clarendon College), Nickque Daley (Clarendon College), Calwayne Allen (St James High), Garnet Hudson (Cornwall College), Richard Thompson (Herbert Morrison High), Damani Osei (Cosby High, USA), Blake White (Home Schooled), Thriston Briscoe (North Babylon, USA), Chad Letts (YSC Academy), Rasheed Martin (Queens Gateway, USA), Jeadine White (St Andrew Technical High), Khalil Dabdoub (Hillel Academy), Jordan Peterkin (Kingston College), Renato Campbell (KC), Jabari Howell (Holy Trinity High), and Cleon Haynes (Wolmer’s Boys).
The driver of the bus when asked which party he was supporting told The Gleaner “I represent justice for the people dem.” He added that neither party was any good. The group was soon forced to disperse as police travelling in an unmarked vehicle stopped to usher them away. There was excitement outside the Phillippo Baptist Church in Spanish Town, where JLP supporters awaited the arrival of Member of Parliament for St. Catherine Central , Olivia Babsy Grange earlier. As green clad supporters shouted and cheered, a small bus painted in red, green and black with several Ethiopian flags waving through its windows, came storming down Cumberland Road at the intersection with William Street shouting “dutty JLP and PNP fi gweh.” Those in the bus alighted and came face-to-face with the JLP supporters bearing down on the vehicle.
TOTTENHAM (4-2-3-1)LLORIS, WALKER, ALDERWEIRELD, WIMMER, ROSE,DIER, DEMBELE,SON, ALLI, ERIKSEN,KANERASHFORD, MARTIAL, LINGARD, MATA,SCHNEIDERLIN, CARRICK,ROJO, BLIND, SMALLING, DARMIAN, DE GEAUNITED (4-2-3-1)Both Tottenham Hotspur and Manchester United have much to play for. In all probability Spurs have to win their remaining eight games and hope Leicester, seven points clear at the top of the Barclays premier League, slip up. And United are a point outside the top four with seven to play in their chase for a top-four finish.Spurs were held to a 1-1 draw at Liverpool last weekend, with Harry Kane earning a point with an equaliser, his 22nd Premier League goal of the season. Spurs have now recovered the most points from losing positions this term (19).But Spurs have dropped points in three of their last five games, winning only twice. United, meanwhile, have won four of their last five league outings, including last Sunday’s 1-0 victory over Everton at Old Trafford.Rumours persist that United could be close to sacking manager Louis van Gaal – and that Spurs boss Mauricio Pochettino is a favourite to replace him.When these teams met at Old Trafford in August United won 1-0 with an early own goal from Spurs’ Kyle Walker.And history suggests a United double; Tottenham have entertained them 23 times in the Premier League, winning just three and losing 12. United last lost at White Hart Lane in May 2001. In the subsequent 15 years they have won eight and drawn six – including the last three and four of the last five.Spurs miss Nabil Bentaleb and Clinton N’Jie while there are tests for Erik Lamela and Jan Vertonghen.United, meanwhile, are without Bastian Schweinsteiger, Luke Shaw and Wayne Rooney and test Daley Blind.
MONACO (AP):Standing in the way of a ninth Monte Carlo Masters title for Rafael Nadal is Frenchman GaÎl Monfils, an opponent the Spaniard has beaten every time they’ve met on clay and who has a dismal 5-18 record in finals.Nadal has waited two years to win a Masters title and four years to get his Monte Carlo crown back, so losing today would be a particularly bitter blow.Nadal beat Andy Murray 2-6, 6-4, 6-2 yesterday to earn a shot at a record-equalling 28th Masters title – with Novak Djokovic – and a 68th overall.”It’s been a very important week for me,” Nadal said. “I increased the speed of the ball and played a little bit more inside the court because Andy had control of the point too many times in the first set.”Monfils has lost the only two Masters finals he has played – both in Paris – the last of which was in 2010.”I expect an enormous match, a huge match. I need to try to have him play badly, or walk all over him,” said Monfils, who has lost 11 of 13 career matches against Nadal. “To beat him, I need to take many risks and I need to have some luck.”FRESHMONFILSAt least Monfils will be fresh, having eased past Jo-Wilfried Tsonga 6-1, 6-3 in an all-French semi-final, breaking Tsonga’s serve six times in less than half the time Nadal spent turning the table on Murray.The last French player to win here was Cedric Pioline in 2000 – who was also the last French finalist – and Monfils is even more of an outsider considering he is 0-4 against Nadal on clay.The 29-year-olds first played each other 11 years ago and that was also at Monte Carlo – with Nadal beating Monfils in the second round – and their last meeting on clay was a quarter-final win for Nadal in Barcelona in 2011.For Murray, meanwhile, it was a missed opportunity to become the first British player in the final in 56 years and to beat Nadal for only the second time on clay – having routed him 6-3, 6-2 in the Madrid Masters final last year.”I missed some shots, but you have to take chances against the best players,” Murray said. “If you don’t do that, you’re going to lose anyway.”
Considered one of the country’s leading grass-roots meet, the 36th annual Institute of Sports (INSPORTS) Primary Schools Athletics Championships will see 92 schools, with over 4,000 athletes, squaring off for the coveted elite title as all-island primary school champions and $500,000 in equipment from May 11-14 at the National Stadium.Having started with five schools in 1981, the event has since grown tremendously and action will start at 8 o’clock each morning.Naggo Head Primary, considered “a true champion” by their principal, Andrea McGivvens, remains confident of winning a seventh title this year. Her school has won five consecutive titles and six overall.Waterford Primary, with 10 titles, has won the most times.”Our athletes have done well, and it is an event that we look forward to. Many of our athletes have gone on to high school and have done very well,” said the principal, while citing names such as Stephon Fennell (former Kingston College standout), Tyler Mason (Jamaica College), and Calabar High’s Michael Stephens.”Naggo Head has really prepared them well, and I hope they can go on to represent Jamaica,” she continued.USAIN BOLT”There is no name as huge as Usain Bolt, and I implore all principals of primary schools to get on board and get all your athletes involved in the programme because this is where we unearth the talents.”Not everybody is going to be an accountant, a teacher, a lawyer or a doctor. Usain Bolt is not one of such, but I can tell you, he is making millions,” she added.She called on the “administrative efforts of principals to continue nurturing youngsters”.World 400m youth champion Christopher Taylor was a recent standout at this meet, breaking the 400m record.The event will see three new schools competing this year; Content Gap, May Pen, and Lacovia Primary.The main sponsor is INSPORTS, while Hi Lyte and Tropical Blue are associate sponsors.INSPORTS administrative director Ian Andrews implored: “Let it be about development and winning the reward.”We are living up to our mandate, which is to unearth, promote, develop, and nurture the talents. That’s what we are doing at the Institute of Sports,” he said.Andrews added: “Regrettably, we don’t promote enough the achievements that we are having at the Primary level.”Meet director Anthony Gibbs said 41 events would be contested by the 4,117 athletes from the schools, which span the length and breadth of Jamaica to include places like Portland, Clarendon, and St James.
IMPROVING SKILLS “We welcome Rajindra to the West Indies team group,” said WICB director of cricket, Jimmy Adams. “We’re delighted he has agreed to come and work with our players. He has a wealth of knowledge on the game and we know he will make a great contribution. “He will be spending time with our slow bowlers prior to both the ODIs in Guyana and the start of the Test series in Jamaica, as we look to improve and enhance their skills and grow in the game.” The 48-year-old Dhanraj was one of the leading bowlers in Regional 4-Day Tournament in the late 1980s and 1990s. He took 295 wickets in 78 first-class matches, and also played four Tests and six ODIs for the West Indies between 1994 and 1996. PROVIDENCE, Guyana (CMC): Rajindra Dhanraj has been hired for a brief period to advise the spin bowlers in the West Indies team. The West Indies Cricket Board announced yesterday that the former Trinidad & Tobago and West Indies leg-spinner will work with the team prior to the start of the upcoming three one-day internationals (ODI) against Pakistan in Guyana before he flies to Jamaica to mentor the slow bowlers ahead of the start of the three Tests later this month.
What’s in store for your animal sign this year Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next SEA Games: PH squash team brings in second bronze Bishop Baylon encourages faithful in Albay to help Taal evacuees MOST READ Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Filipinos turn Taal Volcano ash, plastic trash into bricks PLAY LIST 01:40Filipinos turn Taal Volcano ash, plastic trash into bricks01:32Taal Volcano watch: Island fissures steaming, lake water receding02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite Search on for 5 Indonesians snatched anew in Lahad Datu The Celtics retired No. 1 for founder and original owner Walter Brown. They retired No. 2 for former coach and general manager Red Auerbach.In all, the Celtics have retired 21 numbers, with Paul Pierce’s No. 34 next in line for the TD Garden rafters.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSEnd of his agony? SC rules in favor of Espinosa, orders promoter heirs to pay boxing legendSPORTSRedemption is sweet for Ginebra, Scottie ThompsonSPORTSMayweather beats Pacquiao, Canelo for ‘Fighter of the Decade’ LATEST STORIES Britain’s Prince Harry and Meghan Markle to give up royal titles Police seize P68-M worth of ‘shabu’ in Pasay Marcosian mode: Duterte threatens to arrest water execs ‘one night’ Cleveland Cavaliers’ Kyrie Irving, left, drives to the basket against Boston Celtics’ Al Horford, from the Dominican Republic, in the second half of an NBA basketball game, Thursday, Dec. 29, 2016, in Cleveland. APBOSTON, Massachusetts—Newly acquired guard Kyrie Irving will wear No. 11 in Boston because the Celtics already have retired the numbers he wore in college and with the Cleveland Cavaliers.Irving wore No. 11 at two New Jersey high schools before switching to No. 1 at Duke. He wore No. 2 with the Cavaliers for the first six years of his NBA career.ADVERTISEMENT Hotdog’s Dennis Garcia dies OSG plea to revoke ABS-CBN franchise ‘a duplicitous move’ – Lacson National Historical team rescues Amorsolos, artifacts from Taal View comments
View comments Biboy Enguio. Photo by Randolph B. Leongson/ INQUIRER.netAfter his days in the comforts of University of the East, Biboy Enguio has been all over the region, representing Indonesia in international competitions while going back here to test his luck against the best in the amateurs.But there’s only one league that eluded him through the course of his playing career.ADVERTISEMENT LATEST STORIES It’s too early to present Duterte’s ‘legacy’ – Lacson MOST READ Little-known PUP graduate tries luck in PBA Draft Coco’s house rules on ‘Probinsyano’ set Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard PLAY LIST 02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite03:23Negosyo sa Tagaytay City, bagsak sa pag-aalboroto ng Bulkang Taal01:13Christian Standhardinger wins PBA Best Player award Margot Robbie talks about filming ‘Bombshell’s’ disturbing sexual harassment scene Jake says relationship with Shaina ‘goes beyond physical attraction’ OSG plea to revoke ABS-CBN franchise ‘a duplicitous move’ – Lacson Jo Koy: My brain always wants to think funny Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Kiss-and-tell matinee idol’s conquests: True stories or tall tales? Jake says relationship with Shaina ‘goes beyond physical attraction’ Coco’s house rules on ‘Probinsyano’ set “This (PBA) is the only league I’ve never played in,” the Fil-Indonesian guard said. “I’ve been in Fiba Asia, in SEA Games, PBA D-League, and the UAAP. I’ve been through that process and the PBA is the only thing that I haven’t been on in my career.”Though he’s already regarded as a superstar in Indonesia, Enguio knows that playing professionally here in the Philippines is still on a different level.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSRedemption is sweet for Ginebra, Scottie ThompsonSPORTSMayweather beats Pacquiao, Canelo for ‘Fighter of the Decade’SPORTSFederer blasts lack of communication on Australian Open smog“I wanted to try it here even though I’ve already played in other countries. To play in the PBA is really my dream,” said the 29-year-old, who is the oldest among the applicants.“It’s really different here compared to the other countries and I think I’m already seasoned enough to get to the level of basketball that is played here. I needed to go through all the process to gain the necessary experience, and now that I feel that I’m ripe enough, I believe I’m ready. That’s why I returned here.” Enguio is confident that he has already made his case to the coaches and scouts, but regardless of his fate in the 2017 PBA Rookie Draft, he’s just satisfied to try his luck here in the Philippines.“If I get picked, it’s okay. But if not, I’m fine with it also. At least I tried my chance and experienced all of it here,” he said.Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next