Girona makes accounts for the playoff: make 28 of 51 points

first_imgThe theory seems clear and now it’s time to put it into practice. This Sunday, Pep Lluís Martí’s group visits Fuenlabrada and it is clear that he has a deficit of points at home. Of the 12 games played, he has only added eight points (two wins, two draws and eight losses). Only Racing, a second-place player, has signed fewer points (seven). To reach the playoff, take off. In Girona they have begun to make accounts. Sounds weird because it’s only in the month of January, but the current streak of the Girona team does not allow the trips to lengthen excessively over time. The goal is to reach the promotion playoff to Primera and currently, the sixth ranked, Elche, leads him one point. There are still 17 days left to play and there is time to maneuver. Yes, Girona is urged to chain a series of victories to calm the spirits between his fans and win in confidence.After 25 League games played, Girona is eighth, with 35 points, and to finish the course in playoff positions you must improve your records. There are still 51 points to play and last year, Depor needed to add 68 to get as the last team in the playoff. According to the average of the last seasons, the teams that want to play the qualifying rounds must exceed 63 points. So Girona would be required to complete a second round without cracks and reap more than half of the points that remain to be disputed. Of those 51, I should ensure 28.last_img read more

Red Bull keeping close leash on its drivers after Baku crash

first_imgScientists seek rare species survivors amid Australia flames Daniel Ricciardo and Max Verstappen now know Red Bull is not going to sit and watch as they bang wheels and risk ruining their races again.They said ahead of this weekend’s Spanish Grand Prix that there won’t be team orders, but the team will intervene if it feels the drivers’ actions are hurting the team.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSGinebra beats Meralco again to capture PBA Governors’ Cup titleSPORTSAfter winning title, time for LA Tenorio to give back to Batangas folkSPORTSTim Cone, Ginebra set their sights on elusive All-Filipino crownThat’s what happened in Baku. They both crashed out and earned zero points.“I think if it got to that point again, where there’s banging wheels and stuff, then yeah,” Ricciardo said. “We are not going to have team orders, but if we find ourselves battling too hard or losing time to the others, especially if maybe there is a faster car coming through, then I think the team will step in before we start banging wheels again.” Lights inside SMX hall flicker as Duterte rants vs Ayala, Pangilinan anew Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard PLAY LIST 02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite03:23Negosyo sa Tagaytay City, bagsak sa pag-aalboroto ng Bulkang Taal01:13Christian Standhardinger wins PBA Best Player award In fight vs corruption, Duterte now points to Ayala, MVP companies as ‘big fish’ LATEST STORIES MOST READ P16.5-M worth of aid provided for Taal Volcano eruption victims — NDRRMC ‘Stop romanticizing Pinoy resilience’ Jo Koy draws ire for cutting through Cebu City traffic with ‘wang-wang’ Finland driver Valtteri Bottas, bottom, steers his Mercedes followed by Red Bull driver Daniel Ricciardo, of Australia, and Red Bull driver Max Verstappen, of the Netherlands, during the Azerbaijan Formula One Grand Prix, at the city circuit, in Baku, Azerbaijan, Sunday, April 29, 2018. (AP Photo/Luca Bruno)BARCELONA, Spain — Things have changed at Red Bull.The team appears to be putting a limit on the freedom it gives its drivers after seeing them crash into each other in the race at Azerbaijan.ADVERTISEMENT Ricciardo, who was coming off a victory in China, said maybe he should have insisted that the team tell Verstappen to let him by.“I was saying, ‘I can go faster,’ but I was not shouting, sounding like a little girl,” he said. “But maybe I should have. I guess part of me was wanting to try and make it happen without being assisted, but after some point it probably got a bit too long. That’s where maybe the team can step in in the future.”The crash left Ricciardo fifth in the drivers’ standings, while Verstappen dropped to eighth.The drivers visited Red Bull’s headquarters in England after the Azerbaijan race and apologized to the rest of the team.“We sent our apologies and told them it won’t happen again.”Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Volcano watch: Island fissures steaming, lake water receding Green group flags ‘overkill’ use of plastic banderitas in Manila Sto. Niño feast Lomachenko vies to become three-weight world champ against Linares Truck driver killed in Davao del Sur road accident Verstappen said that although no specific new rules were in place, he expected the team to be more proactive.“If it’s like Baku again, maybe at one point the team will say, ‘OK, maybe calm down a bit, just follow each other that last few laps,’ I don’t know,” Verstappen said. “In general, they still trust us and we also understand that we don’t want that to happen again.”Ricciardo was faster than Verstappen in Azerbaijan but couldn’t get past his teammate. As Ricciardo tried to force his way past Verstappen at the end of the front straightaway, Verstappen closed the door and Ricciardo couldn’t avoid the collision.Neither of the drivers took full blame for the crash.“We all talked about it, from all different points of views,” Ricciardo said. “From what the drivers could have done better, what the team could have done better, the decision makers on the pit wall, what the engineers could have done better.”ADVERTISEMENT View commentslast_img read more

UST’s Subido out with ankle injury

first_imgWill you be the first P16 Billion Powerball jackpot winner from the Philippines? Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard PLAY LIST 02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite03:23Negosyo sa Tagaytay City, bagsak sa pag-aalboroto ng Bulkang Taal01:13Christian Standhardinger wins PBA Best Player award For the complete collegiate sports coverage including scores, schedules and stories, visit Inquirer Varsity. LATEST STORIES The Growling Tigers, however, may have to trudge on to the rest of the tournament without guard Renzo Subido who’s recovering from an injury in his left ankle he suffered in practice.Subido said he has yet to undergo an MRI exam on Monday to determine the extent of the injury the team’s physical therapists initially diagnosed as a stress fracture.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSGinebra beats Meralco again to capture PBA Governors’ Cup titleSPORTSJapeth Aguilar wins 1st PBA Finals MVP award for GinebraSPORTSGolden State Warriors sign Lee to multiyear contract, bring back Chriss“The left ankle started swelling and all of a sudden I couldn’t walk,” said Subido Sunday at Filoil Flying V Centre in San Juan. “I think it’s overused and overworked. I’ll get the results by Tuesday.”Subido was UST’s leading scorer for the season with 15.9 points a game while also grabbing 2.3 rebounds and dishing out 2.1 assists. “I’ve been practicing since November and I didn’t have any rest since the D-League and there were times when I was practicing twice a day,” said Subido, who played for Marinerong Pilipino.UST, though, had Marvin Lee to take up Subido’s shots against the Red Warriors.Lee fired for a career-high 30 points, on 8-of-18 shooting from deep, as his “splash brother” watched from UST’s bench.“I’ve known Marvin since high school and he can do a lot on the court and with how he’s playing right now I wasn’t surprised at all,” said Subido in Filipino. “I know he can do that kind of stuff.”ADVERTISEMENT Tim Cone, Ginebra set their sights on elusive All-Filipino crown Nadine Lustre’s phone stolen in Brazil MOST READ University of Santo Tomas has slowly built momentum in the latter part of the UAAP Season 81 men’s basketball tournament after posting a 5-5 record after its 79-68 win over University of the East.ADVERTISEMENTcenter_img Tokyo’s 2020 Olympic, Paralympic venues in trouble View comments Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Allen Durham still determined to help Meralco win 1st PBA title Lights inside SMX hall flicker as Duterte rants vs Ayala, Pangilinan anew Gretchen Barretto’s daughter Dominique graduates magna cum laude from California college Lights inside SMX hall flicker as Duterte rants vs Ayala, Pangilinan anew Japeth Aguilar embraces role, gets rewarded with Finals MVP plum Gov’t to employ 6,000 displaced by Taallast_img read more

Duo get life sentence for murdering security officer

first_imgWeeks after Alvin Kissoon and Calvin King were found guilty by a jury for the 2013 murder of John Friday during the commissioning of a robbery at the Lethem Post Office, the duo were given life sentences by Justice Sandil Kissoon on Thursday.The two men will have to serve a minimum of 32 years before becoming eligible for parole. However, although being found guilty for the murder, King maintained his innocence and asked the court to be lenient since he has a family to help.The State was represented by Abigail Gibbs and Mandel Moore, who both proved that Kissoon and King left Georgetown for Lethem where they carried out a robbery on the Lethem Post Office on January 18, 2013.Alvin Kissoon and Calvin King at the High CourtIt was reported that the men entered the post office and bounded the two security officers after beating them. Friday would have died on the spot as a result of the beating he received.The armed men then broke into the safe and carted off with a huge sum of cash. Another guard on duty reportedly raised an alarm and the Police were summoned.However, Police at the Mabura checkpoint stopped and searched a motor car during which over $4M was found hidden under the rear seat. They also found other articles linked to the robbery.The two men had pleaded not guilty when the case was called at the Magistrate’s Court. During the Preliminary Injury (PI), the prosecutor provided sufficient evidence for the matter to be called at the High Court.The two men were represented by Attorneys Adrian Thompson and Lyndon Amsterdam.last_img read more

Local curlers competing to gain entrance into Alberta Senior Provincials

first_imgThe provincial tournament will be held February 13-17 at Edmonton’s Granite Curling Club.On the men’s side of the competition, Fort St. John will have two teams on the ice, as both Glen Godberson and Kelly Ollenberger, along with their respective rinks, will play for a spot in Edmonton.Dawson Creek’s Darrel Viener will also be competing in that same division.- Advertisement -Within the women’s division, Team Jodi Busche, last year’s runner up at provincials, will represent Fort St. John, along with Team Donna Sipe. The Mile 0 City’s Marlene Maxwell will also compete in the mix.The tournament will also include juvenile boys and girls teams, who will compete for two berths per gender at the upcoming Optimist Juvenile Provincials, March 1-3 in Sylvan Lake.Dawson Creek’s Team Tristan Steinke is the lone team representing the region, and will be competing in the boys’ division. The team will be looking for a repeat victory, as they enter the tournament as defending Alberta Champions.Advertisementlast_img read more

San G. loss gives Colton a crown

first_imgSAN BERNARDINO – The Arroyo Valley boys soccer team had nothing to play for against San Gorgonio but pride. That was enough, as junior Ivan Barragan scored two goals to propel the Hawks to a 3-1 win over San Gorgonio on Friday. San Gorgonio coach Aaron Nessman was clearly disappointed. “Our kids came into the game overconfident. They thought the game was won by just stepping on the field,” Nessman said. “I could see in the warmups that they were taking them (Arroyo Valley) lightly and I was afraid something like this would happen.” Arroyo Valley took it to the Spartans in the first half when Barragan and Emilio Flores scored goals to give the Hawks a 2-0 lead at halftime. Early in the second half, Flores was assessed a red card and ejected from the game, leaving the Hawks with 10 players. But San Gorgonio couldn’t take advantage. A win would have given San Gorgonio the San Andreas League championship outright, but the best the Spartans can finish now is second in the league standings. San Gorgonio (17-6-4, 6-2-2) came into the game with a slim lead over Colton and Cajon. Those two teams faced each other Friday, with Colton winning 3-0 to grab the league title after the Spartans’ loss. center_img “Even in the second half we didn’t play the game the way we have all year. We played overanxious as if everything had to happen in one moment,” Nessman said. “That kind of play isn’t what got us here. It’s frustrating but that’s the way it is.” With 10 minutes left, San Gorgonio’s Ramon Meza scored when the ball careened off his face into the net. Barragan answered with a goal of his own to give the Knights a 3-1 lead and assure the win. “We had a lot of scoring opportunities and I was able to take advantage of them,” Barragan said. Arroyo Valley coach Hector Carrillo was humble after the victory. “It doesn’t feel that good when I look at it from their position,” Carrillo said. “They played well all season and really should have won the SAL title, but I feel good for our kids to end the season with a win.” Arroyo Valley freshman goalie Rafael Arias was under pressure the entire second half with his team down a man, but he held the Spartans off. “When I was in the goal I kept saying, `We got to win, we got to win,”‘ Arias said. “I was mad because we play a good game against our last opponent but we lost. I didn’t want that to happen again.” Colton 3, Cajon 0 The Yellowjackets (15-4-2, 7-2-1) clinched the San Andreas League title with a victory over the Cowboys (6-2-2 in league) coupled with San Gorgonio’s loss. Forward Juan Ramos scored a goal and added an assist while Justin Young and Josh Pope also found the back of the net. Midfielder Kelvin Castillo assisted on two of the goals and was a key contributer to the Yellowjackets’ eight shots on goal. CHRISTIAN LEAGUE Arrrowhead Christian 1, Ontario Christian 1 The Eagles (16-4, 6-1-1) dethroned the Knights’ 18-year run as the Christian league champions in a 1-1 tie. T.J. Pearce scored the tying goal in the final two minutes from an assist from Alan Supernaw for ACA, which captured a boys league title for the first time in school history. T.J. Lucia had nine saves in the victory. Jason Fredrickson scored the only goal for Ontario Christian. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!last_img

Poll: Who should win the Ballon d’Or – Neymar, Messi or Ronaldo? Vote here!

first_img Poll: Who should win the Ballon d’Or – Neymar, Messi or Ronaldo? Vote here! Yesterday, FIFA announced the three-man shortlist for the prestigious Ballon d’Or award. The list is made up of La Liga stars – last year’s winner Cristiano Ronaldo of Real Madrid and Barcelona’s Lionel Messi and Neymar.The winner will be revealed at a gala ceremony in Zurich on January 11.Both Messi and Ronaldo have won on four occasions, with the Portuguese star lifting the prize for the last two years. Brazilian star Neymar has come into his own this year in a front three for Barca, alongside Messi and Luis Suarez, who was unlucky not to make the shortlist. So, Drive want to know who you think should win the award? Cast your vote below! 1last_img

DONEGAL STUDENTS GET THEIR LEAVING CERT RESULTS – JARLA’S VIEW!

first_imgDONEGAL STUDENTS GET THEIR LEAVING CERT RESULTS – JARLA’S VIEW! was last modified: August 13th, 2014 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:donegalJarla’s ViewLeaving certlast_img

‘Fans get the hump with Ozil – but Arsenal can’t afford to lose him or Sanchez’

first_imgPaul Merson says Arsenal must keep Alexis Sanchez AND Mesut Ozil.The duo are approaching the final 12 months of their contracts and there is speculation they could move on at the end of this season.Arsene Wenger has been urged by some ex-stars and supporters to prioritise keeping top scorer Sanchez over midfielder Ozil, who is often criticised for his languid style.But Merson reckons it is vital that both men stay put at the Emirates Stadium.Speaking to the Alan Brazil Sports Breakfast, the Arsenal hero said: “Sanchez is a must to stay. He has to stay. And I think Ozil has to stay.“I know people get the hump with Ozil and he is not a runner-arounder, but the lad can play and he is a lot better than what they have got. You can’t afford to lose him in my opinion.”Arsenal kept their hopes of reaching the Champions League alive with a 2-0 victory over relegated Sunderland on Tuesday night.Arsene Wenger’s side need to win their final match on Sunday against Everton at home and hope Liverpool [facing Middlesbrough at home] or Manchester City [at Watford away] slip-up in their respective games to qualify.But Merson would be ‘shocked’ if the Gunners snatched a top four spot. Listen to his thoughts in full above.Arsenal FC news: ‘Arsene Wenger will be there next season, there is no doubt about that’ – Paul Merson on talkSPORTlast_img read more

INTERFIRMS 5K ON TUESDAY IN LETTERKENNY

first_imgINTERFIRMS 5K TUESDAY NIGHTLetterkenny AC will stage the annual 5K road race takes place tomorrow night at 7.30 pm. The race, which is part of the grand prix series, has been held every year since 1978. The race has a 7.30 start at the Old Dunnes Stores, with registration at the Aura from 6.30 pm.INTERFIRMS 5K ON TUESDAY IN LETTERKENNY was last modified: May 21st, 2013 by BrendaShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:INTERFIRMS 5K ON TUESDAY IN LETTERKENNYlast_img read more