Kite flying competition this weekend

first_img Related Items:#kiteflyingcompetition, #magneticmedianews Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsAppTurks and Caicos, April 13, 2017 – Providenciales –  The much anticipated Kite Flying event will span the holiday weekend, with competitions held on Saturday, April 15th at Governor’s Beach in Grand Turk and at the Iris Stubbs Primary School in South Caicos, then on April 17th (Easter Monday) the festivities will continue at The Bight Park in Providenciales and at the Horse Stable Beach in North Caicos.“The Tourist Board looks forward to another year of friendly community competition, goodwill and community spirit that the Annual Kite Flying Competition has created over the years,” says Oehleo Higgs, Senior Public Relations Officer. “We encourage our residents and visitors of the various communities, as well as corporate and civic groups, to come out and enjoy a good day of family fun.”The Annual Kite Flying Competition will continue to display the traditional art of kite making and kite flying. This year’s event will also include the annual Easter Egg Hunt, face painting, and giveaways, as well as lots of food and drinks on sale by local non-profit organizations.Kites entering the annual competition must be handmade and registered with the judges prior to taking flight. Kites in all classes must fly for at least 5 minutes. Kites flown in last year’s competitions will be disqualified from entry.  Prizes and trophies will be given for The Smallest Kite, The Largest Kite, Best Company Kite, Best Traditional Kite and the Best Overall Kite.Children and adults are welcome to fly non-competition kites throughout the day and beyond the competition period.Story by: Sheri-Kae McLeod#MagneticMediaNews#kiteflyingcompetition Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApplast_img read more

San Diego police investigate deadly shooting near Alvarado Hospital

first_img SAN DIEGO (KUSI) – San Diego police responded to a fatal shooting in the near Alvarado Hosptial Thursday morning.According to SDPD the victim passed away after being taken to the hospital.Police said the incident happened on Alvarado Rd. near College Ave. and are asking people to avoid the area while they investigate.Officers tweeted that the “last known suspect description was 3 black males wearing ripped jeans and black t-shirts. Reportetly last seen running southbound on Reservoir Drive.” Jonathan Halvorson, Categories: Local San Diego News FacebookTwitter San Diego police investigate deadly shooting near Alvarado Hospital May 2, 2019 Updated: 7:16 AM Posted: May 2, 2019 Update: Last known suspect description was 3 black males wearing ripped jeans and black t-shirts. Reportetly last seen running southbound on Reservoir Drive.— San Diego Police Department (@SanDiegoPD) May 2, 2019This is a developing story.  Jonathan Halvorson last_img read more

SELECTMEN RACE PREVIEW Everything You Need To Know Before You Vote

first_imgWILMINGTON, MA — At this Saturday’s Town Election, two candidates — Jonathan Eaton and Rob Fasulo — will vie for one open seat on the Wilmington Board of Selectmen.Have you been paying attention to the race?  If not, Wilmington Apple has you covered!Read Campaign Announcements:Jonathan Eaton Announces He’s Running For Wilmington SelectmenRob Fasulo Announces He’s Running For Wilmington SelectmenRead Weekly Candidate Q&As:Affordable Housing & Sciarappa FarmEconomic Development, Analog TIF & Detox Facility ProposalGrade The Town Manager & Current Board Of SelectmenFire Substation, New Town Hall & Hypothetical $2 Million WindfallAccomplishments In Year #1, Being Responsive To ResidentsCLOSING ARGUMENT: Rob Fasulo Asks For Your VoteCLOSING ARGUMENT: Jonathan Eaton Asks For Your VoteRead Letters To The Editor/Endorsements:Jonathan EatonSelectman Mike Champoux Endorses Jonathan EatonSelectman Greg Bendel Endorses Jonathan EatonSelectman Ed Loud Endorses Jonathan EatonFormer Selectman Lou Cimaglia Endorses Jonathan EatonSchool Committee Chair Steve Bjork Endorses Jonathan EatonWilmington Finance Committee Chair Endorses Eaton For SelectmanEaton Is ‘Most Qualified Candidate’ For SelectmenEaton Has Shown A Commitment To The CommunityEaton Embodies Wilmington’s Volunteer SpiritEaton’s Experience & Credentials Make Him An Ideal Selectman CandidateEaton A ‘Bright & Thoughtful Fiscal Conservative,’ An ‘Independent Voice of Reason’Eaton Will Move The Town In The Best DirectionEaton Will Make Wilmington ProudResident Endorses Eaton After Watching Him Grow Up In TownRob FasuloGovernor Charlie Baker Endorses Rob Fasulo For SelectmanSelectman Mike McCoy Endorses Rob FasuloFormer Selectwoman Suzanne Sullivan Endorses Fasulo, Says He Best Understands Residents’ ConcernsConcerned Citizens of Wilmington Endorses Rob Fasulo For SelectmanRetired Wilmington Police Officer, Former Selectman Candidate Endorses FasuloFasulo Will ‘Keep Wilmington A Town’Fasulo Has The Qualities To Be An Effective SelectmanFasulo Is “Committed To Accountability Within Our Local Government,” Won’t “Sugarcoat The Bad”Fasulo Is Honest & Straight Shooting, Listens To People’s ConcernsA Father Endorses His Son For SelectmanWatch WCTV Candidate Conversations:VIDEO: Jonathan Eaton Discusses His Campaign For Selectmen With WCTVVIDEO: Rob Fasulo Discusses His Campaign For Selectmen with WCTVWatch WCTV Candidates Night (with Recap):SELECTMEN CANDIDATES DEBATE: Eaton & Fasulo Debate The IssuesRead Coverage From Crier, Advocate, Patch, SunProfile: Eaton Brings Financial Savvy To Selectman’s Race (Wilmington Patch)Profile: Fasulo Calls For Smart Growth In Run For Selectman (Wilmington Patch)Profile: Eaton, FinCom member, seeks selectmen seat (Wilmington Town Crier)Profile: Fasulo seeks Board of Selectmen seat (Wilmington Town Crier)Debate Recap: Wilmington housing, detox centers are hot topics in debate (Lowell Sun)Read Lowell Sun’s EndorsementTo Be AnnouncedCandidates On Facebook:Jonathan Eaton For SelectmanRob Fasulo For SelectmanPast Campaign Events:Selectman Candidate Jonathan Eaton To Hold Campaign Rally On March 16Selectman Candidate Rob Fasulo Invites Voters To ‘Meet & Greet’ On March 31Selectman Candidate Rob Fasulo Invites Voters To ‘Meet & Greet’ On April 21Joint Statement: Fasulo & Eaton Denounce Campaign Sign StealingPolls will be open this Saturday, April 28, from 8am to 8pm, at the Boutwell Early Childhood Center, Wildwood Early Childhood Center, and Town Hall.  Not sure where you vote?  Click HERE.Like Wilmington Apple on Facebook.  Follow Wilmington Apple on Twitter. Subscribe to Wilmington Apple’s daily email newsletter HERE.  Got a comment, question, photo, press release, or news tip? Email wilmingtonapple@gmail.com.Share this:TwitterFacebookLike this:Like Loading… RelatedLETTER TO THE EDITOR: Selectman Mike McCoy Endorses Rob Fasulo For SelectmanIn “Letter To The Editor”SELECTMEN NEWS: New Board Has First Disagreement When Choosing Its Representative To Town Ice Rink CommitteeIn “Government”LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Selectman Mike McCoy Endorses Rob FasuloIn “Letter To The Editor”last_img read more

STUDENT SPOTLIGHT 15 Wilmington Students Graduate From UMass Amherst

first_imgAMHERST, MA — Approximately 5,500 students received bachelor’s degrees in over 100 majors at University of Massachusetts Amherst’s Undergraduate Commencement on May 10, 2019 at the McGuirk Alumni Stadium.Below is a list of students from Wilmington who graduated:Daniel James BellRyan Andrew BroderickJessica BuskePatrick Keiron FinnHilary HayesLaura Leigh KellerColin Thomas KennedyGabrielle Amber KochLuke Kelley McInnisJennifer PhamDana RossettiVictoria Evans SchultesMichael TringaleJacob Michael VieiraMadison Jean young(NOTE: The above announcement is from UMass Amherst.)Like Wilmington Apple on Facebook. Follow Wilmington Apple on Twitter. Follow Wilmington Apple on Instagram. Subscribe to Wilmington Apple’s daily email newsletter HERE. Got a comment, question, photo, press release, or news tip? Email wilmingtonapple@gmail.com.Share this:TwitterFacebookLike this:Like Loading… RelatedSTUDENT SPOTLIGHT: 31 Wilmington Students Named To Dean’s List At UMass AmherstIn “Education”STUDENT SPOTLIGHT: 6 Wilmington Students Graduate From North Shore Community CollegeIn “Education”STUDENT SPOTLIGHT: 19 Wilmington Students Graduate From UMass AmherstIn “Education”last_img read more

AL aims to destroy judiciary to restore oneparty rule BNP

first_imgBangladesh Nationalist Party (BNP) on Saturday alleged that ruling Awami League is ‘spitting venom’ on chief justice SK Sinha with a motive to cement one-party rule in the country by weakening the judiciary.”I think what Awami League is saying and what they’re doing over the 16th amendment verdict are against the rule of law and tantamount to contempt of court. Their all leaders are making indecent comments targeting the chief justice, committing the contempt of court,” said BNP secretary general Mirza Fakhrul Islam Alamgir.Fakhrul came up with the comments while talking to reporters after placing wreaths at BNP founder Ziaur Rahman’s grave in the capital, marking the release of party vice chairman Barkatullah Bulu from jail.Bulu was freed on bail on 18 August nearly three months after he was sent to jail in 13 violence cases.The BNP secretary general said, “The main motive behind their comments and activities is to restore one-party rule by destroying the independence of the judiciary. But, the country’s people will never accept it.”He said ruling Bangladesh Awami League (AL) has no legitimacy to stay in power after the observations of the 16th amendment verdict. “The government should quit immediately.”About Awami League general secretary Obaidul Quader’s comment that BNP’s dream of putting the government in trouble following the apex court verdict has dashed, Fakhrul said the ruling party leaders are now making ‘reckless’ remarks as the verdict has exposed the government’s ‘true face’.Fakhrul said their party is not hopeful of getting any solution to the country’s main crisis over the nature of election-time government from the election commission’s current talks with different stakeholders, including the political parties.Sought his reaction to Awami League’s stance on the apex court’s 16th amendment verdict, BNP standing committee member Moudud Ahmed said it is unprecedented that the government or the ruling party hold meeting with the chief justice over any verdict of the court.”We can say they’re trying to influence the judiciary and the chief justice which is unconstitutional. What example they’re setting now will remain as a serious stigma for the country in the future,” he observed.last_img read more

BNP leader among 4 detained while consuming yaba tablets

first_imgLogo of arrestPolice arrested four people, including a leader of the opposition Bangladesh Nationalist Party (BNP), while they were allegedly consuming yaba pills in Chaitannogoli area of Chattogram on Friday night.The BNP leader is Tinku Das, office secretary of Chattogram city unit of the BNP, reports news agency UNB.The other arrestees are Firoz Alam, 32, Md Shahjahan, 50 and Md Baki, 39.On information, a team of police conducted a raid on the rooftop of a house in the area and caught them red-handed around 9:00pm, said Kotwali police station officer-in-charge Mohammad Mohsin.The law enforcement team also recovered 60 yaba tablets from their possession, he added.A case was filed against the detainees under the Narcotics Control Act, the OC added.last_img

What can we do if BNP polling agents dont come

first_imgOnly the opposition candidates can explain the reasons for their polling agents not showing up at the centres, chief election commissioner (CEC) KM Nurul Huda has said.”What can we do if the agents of ‘sheaf of paddy’ (BNP’s electoral symbol) do not come?” the CEC said in reply to the journalists’ question as to why there was no agent of Bangladesh Nationalist Party at the IES School and College polling centre at Uttara Sector-5 in Dhaka, where he went to cast his vote in the 11th parliamentary elections on Sunday. CEC Nurul Huda talking to the journalistsNo one complained over any obstacles to enter the voting centres, he said. When the journalists asked him if he had seen any BNP polling agent at the centre, he said he did not notice that.Barring a few exceptions, the situation is fine all over the country, the CEC claimed. The returning officers, police and the law enforcement were given directives to carry out their specific duties, he said. All the centres couldn’t be controlled staying in Dhaka, but voting will be postponed if the situation was out of control, Nurul Huda said.Voting was suspended at the centres where irregularities broke out, and if the situation improves, voting would be resumed at these centres later, he further said.On the allegations that the voters at some centres are being forced to vote for Boat, the CEC said he had not heard anything like that.When asked if this election could remove the previous election’s stigma, he said, “Let the election be finished first.”last_img read more

MeToo waves reach London

first_imgArgentine actresses Thelma Fardin (L) and Griselda Siciliani, members of the organization `Argentine Actresses` -against sexual abuse- react during a press conference in Buenos Aires on 11 December. File PhotoA series of very public sackings, suspensions and departures suggests that Britain’s finance world is waking up to the toxic implications of sexual harassment and bullying in the workplace.The changes come a little more than a year after the #MeToo movement exploded into public consciousness with multiple allegations of predatory sexual behaviour against Hollywood producer Harvey Weinstein.The campaign, in which women from a range of professions went public with allegations of harassment, quickly spread to Britain. And some of the most high-profile cases have come from inside the testosterone-fuelled world of business.Some senior female executives who have already broken the glass ceiling have been instrumental in accelerating the pace of change.At the beginning of the week, four major British auditing firms — Deloitte, KPMG, PwC and FY — announced they had shown the door to members of staff accused of sexual harassment or workplace bullying.Deloitte alone revealed that it had fired 20 of its partners in Britain over the last four years for bullying and sexual harassment.”We will fire people for any inappropriate behaviour. No one is protected,” Deloitte chief executive David Sproul told the Financial Times.The job isn’t over yetIt was the FT that in January revealed the sexual harassment of hostesses at an all-male London charity dinner at the Presidents Club, attended by 360 businessmen and politicians.Companies whose executives had attended rushed to distance themselves from the event and, within days of the scandal breaking, widespread condemnation led the club to announce its closure.On Tuesday, Bloomberg reported that one of HSBC’S London-based executives had left the bank after being accused by a younger female staffer of “inappropriate conduct” in a New York hotel bar.HSBC said in a statement: “An allegation was made against an individual. We dealt with it directly, robustly and appropriately.”In the insurance industry, around 50 companies signed up to a good conduct charter, the Inclusive Behaviours Pledge, to try to counter the problem of harassment.One of its main backers was Inga Beale, at the time chief executive of Lloyds of London and known as an outspoken advocate for a more welcoming environment for women in business.She described the charter as a public commitment “to challenge inappropriate behaviour and create increasingly welcoming and inclusive workplaces for the diverse talent powering our sector”.Beale, who became the first woman to head up a major insurance company in 2014, said she was proud of the progress made in this area since the 1980s.But she cautioned, “…the job isn’t over yet”.Breaking the silenceThere have been other revelations beyond the world of high finance.Earlier this month, clothing company Ted Baker announced that chief executive Ray Kelvin had agreed to take a leave of absence following a series of “serious allegations” against him.The company appointed a law firm to carry out an independent investigation after media reports that hundreds of current and former staff members had signed a petition complaining about his behaviour.Allegations included “forced hugs” and forcing people to sit on his knee. The petition was organised by Organise, an online website set up to make it easier to share allegations of harassment.In October, British fashion tycoon Philip Green was named as the executive who had used the courts to try to stop the publication of allegations of harassment against him by five employees.Green denied “unlawful sexual or racist behaviour” after Peter Hain, a member of the House of Lords, used parliamentary privilege to name him.Lord Hain acted after the Daily Telegraph reported the allegations — but said a court injunction prevented them from naming the executive concerned.Hain said he was using the special legal protection he enjoyed when speaking in parliament because the story was “clearly in the public interest”.He was criticised by some for breaking what was an interim injunction that could have been subsequently overturned in court.But in the wake of the #MeToo movement, the incident sparked a debate about the use by the rich of injunctions — and non-disclosure agreements — to escape the scandals their conduct would otherwise cause.last_img